American Society of Civil Engineers
The Ilia State University Civil and Construction Engineering Club, created in partnership with SDSU Georgia, represents one of many student chapters established under the guidance of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE): "[America's] oldest engineering society". The ASCE represents a profession that designs and constructs "society's economic and social engine - the built environment".
The student chapter has a similar objective - to preserve the standard of civil and construction engineering we, the future engineers, envision. In order to represent and set the level of professionalism the society promises, it focuses on uplifting students of civil engineering through a variety of avenues, including:
- Providing additional educational materials for students;
- Supporting them as they establish and enhance connections to a network of professional and student engineers worldwide;
- Helping students understand the various standards and techniques spread across the continuously changing engineering world;
- Assisting them to make themselves familiar with real-life engineering problems and working environments;
- Preparing students to meet the challenges they will face once after graduation.